There are currently twenty one children in juniors infants who are full of energy and enthusiasm as they embark on their journey in primary school. The junior infant class is being taught by Ms. Ryan who has lots of fun and exciting plans for the children for the year ahead. The Aistear progamme, trails around the local fairy trail and park, trips to shows etc. are some of the activities which the children will engage in during the academic year.
March 2020-School Closure
Below are some links to games and activities your child may enjoy. The reading/phonics ones I have selected are all free to use and I have played most of them in school with the kids before. Please feel under no pressure to any of these. They are just suggestions if you would like to use them. Reading to your child is also a fantastic thing to do to engage them and build language skills. While children are writing/colouring/drawing could you please remind them of their “baby shark” fingers to promote the proper pencil grip.
English/Phonics: I have included links to 2 websites that have many free games to be played. Select games in either phase 2 or phase 3 for your child.
- Phonics Bloom https://www.phonicsbloom.com/uk/game/list/phonics-games-phase-2
- Phonics Play https://new.phonicsplay.co.uk/resources
- Phonic Pop: Children have to pop the bubble with the specific sound. https://www.ictgames.com/phonicsPop/index.html
Phonics Readers: Link to the website for the printed readers I set home for shared reading. They are free to access and can be read online or printed. The children have done the sounds from set 1-set 7 and we have read only a few books from set 1 and 2 so far. https://www.speld-sa.org.au/services/phonic-books.html
Other phonic readers: Oxford Owl website: This website has a free elibrary but requires you to register for access. Once in select age 4-5 to access readers that the children might be able to read. https://home.oxfordowl.co.uk/
Listening to stories read online:
- Storyline online. Free read aloud books service. Books for suggested grade levels K-1st would be most appropriate. https://www.storylineonline.net/library/#!
- Epic: This is a free website with books for children to read, and or listen to books. I have set up a class account. Children can log in on laptops http://www.getepic.com/students, log in with their code buh8723 then find their name. Or once you download the app to a tablet or phone, use the same login buh8723, find their name and off they go.
- Teddy numbers to 5 https://www.topmarks.co.uk/learning-to-count/teddy-numbers
- Gingerbread man: Counting/matching/ordering to 5 https://www.topmarks.co.uk/learning-to-count/gingerbread-man-game
- Shape Patterns: Children have to select which shape would come next in the pattern.https://www.topmarks.co.uk/ordering-and-sequencing/shape-patterns
- GoNoodle: Movement and mindfulness videos. Children love it in our classroom. https://family.gonoodle.com/
- Cosmic Kids Yoga: Can be accessed either on Youtube or https://www.cosmickids.com/category/watch/
To all our girls and boys, parents and families, As we come to the end of an unexpected year we would like to thank you for your participation and support on our learning journey. It has been amazing to see how you have adapted to the circumstances and turned your...
Hi all, Here are some videos and photos of Juniors during June. It was great to see so many of you being active and having fun at home. It has been a challenging time but I have loved sharing in your adventures at home. Thanks for sharing them with me. Junior Infants...