Layout of work for week of May 25th – 29th 2020
Hello Boys and Girls,
I hope that you all had a lovely weekend. We had lovely sunshine again on Sunday. I am sure that many of you were out and about enjoying it.
I am sure that you are glad to have the remainder of your books back. It makes it that bit easier when you can complete the activities in the books.
Thank you again for contributing so well to your online learning on Seesaw. Last week, I received some great pictures of science experiments and more really cool African mask creations. Well done to all of you who took part in that project. Some really brilliant creations were made. It was hard to pick a winner. If you haven’t seen the video yet, check it out on the school website and its up on Seesaw also.
Here is an outline of work for this week. Again, please do as you can but do try to keep up with the books at home as best you can.
Only a few weeks left now until the end of the year and we want to be as best prepared for 3rd class as we can.
Don’t forget to check Seesaw each day for some online learning and activities.
Best of luck,
Mrs Clohessy. 😊
Gaeilge: go to folensonline for access to Abair Liom D. Free access to all students and parents.
For access go to http://FolensOnline.ie and click register, select Teacher, fill in a username, email and password. For Roll Number use the code Prim20.
This week I am going to finish out lesson 24 – Ag obair sa ghairdín and then go back on some Súil Siar pages in the book.
- Lesson 24 – Ag Obair sa Ghairdín.
- Abair Liom Lch 118 & 119 – Foclóir Nua
- Rólimirt Lch 120
- Líon na bearnaí lch 121.
- Súil Siuar 3 lch 104 agus 105.
- Keep an eye on Seesaw for activities to go with this week’s topic.
This week we are continuing on with Subtraction with Renaming. This is a topic that needs a bit of practice. Again, this week I will put up some links to teach you about subtraction with re-naming as well as videos showing you the steps.
Busy at Maths Books pages 152 – 155 and we will finish the week again with A Quick Look Back page on page 156. Continue to access the interactive links for these pages on the cjfallon website as they are brilliant to explain what you have to do on each page.
Please check in with Seesaw daily also.
Master Your Maths: Week 30. Continue to do your daily 12 questions and finish on Friday with the test.
Number Facts Book – Continue this book daily if possible also to practice your times tables.
The Green Genie – Page 80 – Unit 20 – Saving the Little Penguins
This week we have a lovely story called Saving the Little Penguins. Scott and Nina’s Grandma is knitting jumpers for the penguins affected by oil spills. The children offer to help their grandma.
I would like you to get the following activities completed this week from Unit 20.
- Read the story through a couple of times.
- Complete activities based on the reading on page 81.
- Phonics on page 82 – the sound oa as in float. The sound ai as in pain. Complete activities A – C.
- Word Study on page 83 – This week we are looking at plurals again. We are looking at a new rule. Words that end in f like wolf – changes to wolves Words ending in fe, such as knife – changes to knives.
- The story Saving the Little Penguins is fictional, which means it has been made up. However, unfortunately oil spills do happen and have a huge impact on nature and wildlife. I want you to click on the below link to learn more about the effects of oil spills on nature and wildlife and see what we as humans can do to help.
Poem: The Swing by Robert Louis Stevenson.
How do you like to go up in a swing,
Up in the air so blue?
Oh, I do think it the pleasantest thing
Ever a child can do!
Up in the air and over the wall,
Till I can see so wide,
Rivers and trees and cattle and all
Over the countryside—
Till I look down on the garden green,
Down on the roof so brown—
Up in the air I go flying again,
Up in the air and down!
- Read the poem a few times- become familiar with it.
- Draw a picture to go with this poem – taking in all of the sights that the poet talks about.
- Week 32 – page 66. This week we are looking at the “ng” sound as in song, “nk” sound as in junk and the “nt” sound as in count.
- Please do a box a night and complete the activities on page 67 also.
Handwriting – continue on with 1 new letter this week.
- Science: Page 80 – Summer. Please fill in the words on page 80 and write a sentence about the objects numbered in the picture.
- Life Cycle of the Butterfly; Page 81 shows us the two different types of butterflies that live in Ireland – The Red Admiral and the Small Tortoiseshell.
- Familiarise yourself with the life cycle of a butterfly on national geographic website. Follow this link: https://www.natgeokids.com/ie/discover/animals/insects/butterfly-life-cycle/
- Complete activities A-C on page 81.
- Read about The Butterfly Bush on page 82 and fill in the fact file.
- Another song you might like to have a listen to and practice for your First Holy Communion Day, another one of my favourites – This is the Day.